Workcover legislation by state – australia
It is extremely important that all injured folks out there remember at all times that all our Australian states and territories, and the Commonwealth have legislated for workers compensation, meaning that every state as well as the Commonwealth (Comcare) have a different workcover law!
Australia has 11 workers’ compensation systems.
Each of the eight Australian states and territories has their own workers’ compensation scheme and the Commonwealth has three, including:
Australian Government employees, Australian Defence Force personnel with service before 1 July 2004 and the employees of licensed self-insurers under the Safety, Rehabilitation and Compensation Act 1988
Seafarers under the Seafarers Rehabilitation and Compensation Act 1992
Australian Defence Force personnel with service on or after 1 July 2004 under the Military Rehabilitation and Compensation Act 2004.
Click here for a (2017) comparison of workcover schemes in each state (PDF)
Click here for a snapshot overview of key benefits in each state
Workcover legislation by state
National workers compensation legislation table (2018)
Click here (PDF)
Updated July 2019
The relevant Workers Compensation Act for each State and Territory:
- Safety, Rehabilitation and Compensation Act 1988
- Safety, Rehabilitation and Compensation Regulations 2002
The legislative basis for the Australian Capital Territory Government’s compensation scheme is the Workers Compensation Act 1951.
- Workers Compensation Act 1987
- Workplace Injury Management and Workers Compensation Act 1998
- Workers Compensation Regulation 2010 — this Regulation sets out the details of the administration of the workers compensation system including premiums, benefit rates, forms, administration, and the Premium Discount Scheme.
- Workers Compensation and Rehabilitation Act 2003
- Workers Compensation and Rehabilitation Regulation 2003
- Workers Rehabilitation and Compensation Act 1986
- Workers Rehabilitation and Compensation (General) Regulation 1999 (This is the main regulation but there are also a number of other regulations which deal with specific issues such as claims and registration, disclosure of information, dispute regulation, rehabilitation standards and requirements, reviews and appeals, scales of charges, and territorial application of the Act.)
- Workers Rehabilitation and Compensation Act 1988
- Workers Rehabilitation and Compensation Regulations 2001
- Accident Compensation Act 1985
- Accident Compensation (WorkCover Insurance) Act 1993
- Accident Compensation Regulations 2001
- Workers Compensation and Injury Management Act 1981
- Workers Compensation and Injury Management Regulations 1982